Student Raise of Grade Form
portions Copyright © 2009Ė2023 by Stan Brown, BrownMath.com
Dear Professor __________,
My grade in __________ should be raised from ______ to ______
(Check all that apply.)
- There must be some mistake somewhere.
- I actually studied for this exam.
- I knew the right answer but I wrote down the wrong answer by mistake.
- I was not well at the time of the examination.
- Conditions in the room were not conducive to concentration.
- My mind always goes blank during an examination.
- I would have done much better if I had taken the examination given to one of the other sections.
- Several people around me copied from my paper during the examination yet they received higher grades than I did. Surely this is not fair.
- Iím on a varsity sports team and my tutor couldnít find a copy of your exam.
- The reason I did not do better is because I am very honest. I do not wish to say anything against any other members of the class.
- At the time of the examination I was suffering from a severe case of cognitive dissonance and was incapable of coping with the stress of the hour.
- The questions were ambiguous, and therefore my answers should be graded according to the reasonable interpretations I made of your questions.
- Many of the questions could not be answered with straight facts; they were matters of opinion. I should not be penalized jut because my opinions differ from those of the instructor.
- I circled the right answer on the question booklet, as you can now see, but when transferring the information to the answer sheet I inadvertently marked the wrong blanks. Of course a college student should not be penalized for petty clerical errors.
- I have studied this subject from the broad philosophical viewpoint and therefore was unable to answer your detail-oriented technical questions.
- This grade ruined my prospect of getting (circle one) a scholarship / transfer credit / a job / a life / a place in medical school.
- The grade grieved my mother / father, whose pride I am.
- I was unable to study due to the pressing demands of (circle one)
fraternity or sorority activities / political
demonstrations / sports events / jail / family
crisis / annoying roommate / gambling debts / litigation / Weltschmerz.
- This course was (circle one) too early, I was not awake / at mealtime, I was hungry / too late, I was tired.
- You are prejudiced against (fill in name of group) _______________.
- This is the only course in which I received a poor grade.
- I need an A in this course to balance an F in ____________.
- I donít have a reason; I just want a higher grade.
- The lectures were (circle one) too detailed to pick out important points / not explained in sufficient detail / too boring / all jokes and not enough material / all of the above.
- The examination was unfair and unfairly distributed over the subject matter.
- I have to work after school and nights; therefore I should be given a break.
- I am married and have a family; therefore I should be given a break.
- I am alone in the world; therefore I should be given a break.
- I was under stress; therefore I should be given a break.
- I no speak English good - give me break.
- The person I got the notes from had neglected to write down several key points and I should not be penalized for his/her laxity.
- I know many of the people in the class who do not work as hard as I do and who got a better grade. I am recognized among my classmates as a good and conscientious student ó just ask any of them.
- I am philosophically oriented to the realm of ideas; I respond to the sweep and scope of the great intellects. My work is beyond the interest in petty detail and parrot-like memorizing of those who are merely students.
- It is not a higher grade I seek; I care nothing about grades; I think grades are wicked and I disapprove of them. However, this pernicious system of which I am a victim requires grades for achieving success, and therefore I seek a higher grade.
- Check, money order, or motel room key enclosed.